- PS2 (See other available formats)
- Other Names
- Presenilin-2, AD5, E5-1, PS-2, AD3LP, STM-2, gamma-secretase, PSEN2, PS2
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
Mutations in the genes for presenilin 1 (PS1) and 2 (PS2) are the causative factors for ~50% of early onset familial Alzheimer's disease. PS1 and PS2 are homologous transmembrane proteins, and along with nicastrin, form high molecular mass multimeric protein complexes involved in the intramembranous proteolysis of several proteins including amyloid precursor protein (APP) and Notch receptors. Absence of PS1 is associated with dramatic reductions in the levels of mature glycosylated nicastrin. In contrast, absence of PS2 is associated with only modest reductions in the levels of immature nicastrin.Product Details
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- This monoclonal antibody was raised using a GST-fusion containing the complete N-terminal fragment of human Presenilin 2 (residues 1-87).
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C.
WB - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by Western blotting. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 1 - 10 µg per ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
Cell type: SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells. Presenilin 2 is proteolytically cleaved to generate two polypeptides. The full-length PS2 protein (~55 kD) is cleaved to a ~ 35 kD N-terminal fragment and ~20 kD C-terminal fragment. The predominant species observed in cultured mammalian cells and in the brain is the processed fragment of ~35 kD. This antibody recognizes the full length and the ~35 kD cleavage fragment.
Primary antibody incubation period for WB: overnight at 4°C .
AB_2650835 (BioLegend Cat. No. 814203)
AB_2650836 (BioLegend Cat. No. 814204)
- Presenilin 2 is a 448 amino acid protein with a molecular mass of ~ 55 kD.
Tissue distribution: Presenilin 2 is ubiquitously expressed in humans. In the central nervous system (CNS), it is expressed by almost all cell types including astrocytes, neurons, microglia, unmyelinating and myelinating oligodendrocytes and progenitor cells.
Cellular distribution: Cytoskeleton, endoplasmic reticulum, nucleus and plasma membrane.
- Presenilin 2 helps process proteins that transmit chemical signals from the cell membrane into the nucleus. Once in the nucleus, these signals turn on (activate) genes that are important for cell growth and maturation. PS2 is best known for its role in processing amyloid precursor protein, which is found in the brain and other tissues. It has been suggested that presenilin 2 works together with other enzymes to cut amyloid precursor protein into smaller segments (peptides). One of these peptides is called soluble amyloid precursor protein (sAPP), and another is called amyloid beta peptide. sAPP has growth-promoting properties and may play a role in the formation of neurons in the brain both before and after birth.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neurodegeneration, Neuroscience, Protein Misfolding and Aggregation
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Brunello L, et al. 2009. J. Cell Mol. Med. 13:3358. (WB) PubMed
2. Hutton M, Hardy J. 1997. Hum. Mol. Genet. 6:1639.
- Gene ID
- 5664 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Presenilin 2 on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.